Thursday, January 28, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I have to say, I rather love where I live. It's small and really old, but I think its little quirks give it character. Like how there's not a light switch anywhere convenient in the kitchen. In order to turn on the light, you have to reach your hand behind the side of the fridge. This means you can't be holding anything in your hand, or your fist will be too big to fit behind it. I still forget that the light switch is going to be right where it should be - on the side of the wall when you walk into the kitchen. But as many times as I put my hand up there to flip it on, it's never there.

There's also a lack of convenient power outlets. Anywhere. Return again to the kitchen, for example, and you'll find that the main power outlet is to the side of the counter. This is where we keep our microwave. Now, the counter is really tiny so the microwave takes up a good chunk of the counter. This means that in order to plug in anything else - say, a toaster, the waffle iron, a griddle, the rice cooker, or one of our two crockpots - you have to move the knife block out of the way in order to turn the microwave to the side,so that there's room to put said appliance on the counter. Needless to say,this has become too much of a bother and I've taken to plugging a power cord into the wall on the other side of the kitchen and putting the appliance on the table while I work.

There's also a conspicuous lack of power outlets in the bathroom. In order to plug in my flat iron, I plug it in in my bedroom, pull it around the corner, and snake the cord under the bathroom door. This means that when I'm straigtening the left side of my hair I have to sort of lean to one side to be close enough.

Oh and everything drips. And I mean everything. The kitchen sink, the bathroom sink,the pipes under the kitchen sink. Sometime between the time we bought the apartment and the time we got back from our honeymoon, the ceiling in the kitchen leaked, leaving a large brown stain on our floor. And from time to time we've found water gracing the window sills in our bedroom. This dripping of course, comes with the harmonious sound of "drip, drip, drip". And while this noise doesn't bother very much, Terry's not such a fan of it. He'll quietly get up and grab a paper towel, fold it, and stuff it in the drain in the sink to stop the sound. Supposedly, our landlord is coming in today to fix it.

Like I said, I like these little quirks. I love having a place to decorate and take care of and have fun in. And in the immortal words of a girl with excellent taste in shoes, "there's no place like home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment