Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cast Out the Hairy Men!

I did it! I finally did it! I turned away a man who clearly hadn't shaved in a million years from taking a test in the testing center where I work. It's sometimes a ridiculous rule that they have to be clean shaven in order to take a test, but it's my job to enforce even the ridiculous rules.

There have been many men who have come in with, shall we say, questionably scruffy faces and so far I've been too timid to deny any of them entry. I finally did get up the guts the other day to ask one of them when the last time he'd shaved was. When he answered that he had shaved that morning, I breathed a heavy sigh of relief that I wouldn't be required to disappoint the scruffy man, and let him take his test.

But this man today could have passed as a mountain man. Or a Jewish rabbi. Or Dumbledore even! Ok not really, but for the amount of guys you see walking around here with facial hair, he really stuck out. I politely (I hope) informed him that he needed to be clean shaven before he would be allowed to take a test. He looked shocked and demanded to know how long that had been the policy - ummmmm forever???? It's part of the school honor code buddy. It shouldn't be a shock to you. He slunk out of the lab without another word as I looked at my co-worker who offered me a proud and approving wink.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny!! You should have a baggie full of Schick disposable razors and a little travel size thing of shaving cream under your desk to hold up so you can act like you are being super helpful while you are actually delivering bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha you are so funny! Great story and way to be brave!

    ReplyDelete